Chetan Sakariya (born 28 February 1998) is an Indian cricketer who plays for Saurashtra in Domestic Cricket and plays for Rajasthan Royals in the IPL.
|Full Name||Chetan Sakariya|
|Date of Birth||28 February 1998|
|Birth Place||Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India|
|Batting Style||Left Handed Bat|
|Bowling Style||Left-arm fast-medium|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx)||170 cm
5’ 7” Inches
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Teams||Saurashtra, Sorath Lions, Rajasthan Royals|
|Debut||First Class Debut
Gujarat vs Saurashtra at Nadiad on November 20, 2018
List A Debut:
|Career Turning Point||His selection in the Indian Premier League and his performance in IPL 2021 can be regarded as his Career Turning Point.|
|Educational Qualification||12th Science|
|Family||Father: Kanji Sakariya (Tempo Driver)
Mother: Varsha Sakariya
Brother: Rahul Sakariya
Sister: Jignasha Sakariya
|Favourite Cricketers||Batsman- Yuvraj Singh
Bowlers- Junaid Khan, Irfan Pathan, Zaheer Khan
Sakariya made his mark in the age-group cricket, and after his impressive U-19 Season for Saurashtra, He made his debut for his state team Saurashtra in all the formats of the sport. Sakariya made his List A debut against Baroda on February 22, 2018. He picked up two crucial wickets on his debut in Krunal Pandya and Kedar Devdhar but was also expensive with the ball.
Later on, he also made his first-class debut against Gujarat in the same year. He made his mark straight away on his debut game by picking up a five-wicket haul in the first innings with figures of 5/83. He totally picked up 6 wickets on his debut first-class game. In February 2019, Sakariya represented Saurashtra in the shortest format of the game. He made his debut against Railways and picked up one wicket in his 4 over spell.
His domestic figures are brilliant so far as he picked up 31 wickets in 18 T20 appearances and also has a five-wicket haul to his name. His ability to swing the bowl in tough conditions and his impressive T20 figures with the ball earned him an IPL contract with Rajasthan Royals.
Chetan Sakariya IPL Career
Sakariya’s Journey to the big stage is not less than a fairytale. Sakariya’s condition was very weak financially and also his younger brother had committed suicide just before IPL 2021. He was picked up by Rajasthan Royals at the IPL 2021 player auction for a whopping price of INR 1.2 crores.
He made his debut against Punjab Kings on April 12, 2021. It was an unforgettable night for the youngster as he picked up 3 wickets on his debut in the form of Mayank Agarwal, KL Rahul, and Jhye Richardson. With his impressive performances in his first game, he also cemented his place in the team. He has picked up 7 wickets in his seven games. Sakariya is surely a player to look out for in the IPL, and his ability with the ball also indicates that the national call-up is also not far away.
Lesser-Known Facts about Chetan Sakariya
- Sakariya wanted to be a batsman while growing up but eventually diverted his interest and became a swing bowler.
- He used to play and train by himself till the age of 16 and played tennis ball cricket.
- Sakariya’s father wanted him to become an engineer and he also completed his 12th grade in Science.
- He was the sole earner for his family. His father was a Tempo driver and was also ill. At one stage, he was unable to afford his cricket expenses.
- His family did not even have a TV set at their home. They used to go to their neighbors home to watch him play in domestic career.
- Sakariya suffered a serious injury on his back and was out of action for nearly a year.
- He was picked up by Rajasthan Royals at the IPL 2021 player auction for a whopping price of INR 1.2 crores.
- His younger brother has lost his life by committing suicide just before the start of IPL 2021.
- Chetan Sakariya was part of Royal Challengers Bangalore as a Net bowler and traveled with the team for IPL 2020 which was played in UAE.
- His father had lost his life due to Covid-19 in 2021 and it was a very tough time for the youngster.